Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Yun Lang

I realized today that I really really miss shooting...

Photobucket

I miss being a part of a giant orchestration of elements. Toilet paper to the left! Band in, colorful outfits! Kids run around and clap! And the feeling of getting a great first shot of the day.

Photobucket

And getting a great last one, too!

Photobucket

I miss spontaneous on-set ideas that perfect even the most obscure of scenarios. Like adding a camwhoreing element to these already hipster grandparents. In a bathroom of vines, nonetheless!

Photobucket

I miss having a dress from the clothes I hoard from my sisters and mom perfectly fit one of the talents! It was meant to be! Hahaha! :-)

Photobucket

Photobucket

And when I actually get to shop for costumes and use them and have them just perfect for a certain scene? I miss that feeling of "being right" hahahaha! Like I made the right choice in that dress, despite all the other dresses I could have bought instead.

Photobucket

I miss using the most basic arts and crafts kind of way to come up with a costume... and have it work! Who would have thought that covering cloth jumpsuits with foil tape would actually pass for space suits? I know I was thinking of all the ways it would fail... but I taped and covered until the very last second! :-)

Photobucket

I miss (and LOVE!) seeing sets that inspire me. This set was made by Trinka Lat, one of the production designers I worked with much less that I would have liked to! What I love about working with her is that I learn a new way to use materials I've seen many other times before. Like hanging balloons upside down, instead of upright! We've all seen balloons in different scenarios, but never like this.

Photobucket

Though I don't know if I miss being coerced by my superiors to extra in scenes! Hahaha! Too many weird things have come from not being able to say no to the director!

Photobucket

I miss the collaboration!! :-) Of directors, their ideas, and my own. I miss reading concept papers and getting excited. I miss that feeling of asking the right questions and discussing the elements so everyone can get to the aesthetic scenario we are all working to create!

Photobucket

Some pictures of the last shoot I styled, way back in March! I can't believe it's been more than two months. What have I been up to since?!?

This video was for a band called True Faith, for their song, "Yun Lang." To introduce the concept to me, director Quark Henares gave me a list of scenarios to prepare for, all of which were very production and costume design heavy, as you can probably tell.

The shooting day was very hectic! We had a lot to shoot, not a lot of time, and a lot of hurdles to get over (like a brown out! And my double-bodying as make-up at the beginning of the day!). I could barely keep tabs on what was going on, what was being shot now, and what would be shot next! I was literally running around the entire day. I was also very lucky to have a great team -- Sarie, Therese, Karen, Gracie... I can't believe I even thought I could style this on my own! Too many baskets and suitcases of clothes to organize and keep neat! I even misplaced my camera for a huge chunk of the day; it was in one of the baskets of clothes.

I'm getting stressed just thinking about the day itself! Hahaha! But I really do miss shooting. It's really a different experience to go through, and I'm very lucky to be able to go through it with people I not only respect and admire, but also some of whom are my closest friends. :-)

I miss you guys! You know who you are!! :-)


"Yung Lang" by True Faith featuring Armi Millare. Directed by Quark Henares. DOP Pong Ignacio. Production Design by Trinka Lat. Styling by Victoria Velasco. Production Managed by Mara Andres. And we would not have gotten through the day without the most charming assistant director ever, Harold Soon! Hahahaha! :-)

All photos from this entry, save for the first, second, and second to the last, were taken by Dom Dycaico. :-) Thanks for letting me use your pictures, Dom!!

No comments: